Monday, June 19, 2017

Week 68: Transferred, to Magapit, Peeping Toms and Scary Rodents

Sis. Abdul Haq (new companion) and Me Traveling in the Bus


The Elders Are Sitting on the Roof of the Bus as We Travel

This week took forever. So last Monday I was in Vigan, then traveled up to Laoag and stayed the night there, then traveled from there to the bus stop where I met everyone who would be traveling with me: Elder Anderson the new ZL, sister Hicks who will be living with me but will be Sister Ganaden’s companion (they will be opening a new area) and elder Wineberg from Vigan district, and his trainee Elder Saplan. We rode a hecka long bus ride that I'm sure could have been much longer but they played the same dumb Jurassic park rip off movie at least 3 times before they realized and swapped to a Marvel movie and a Korean movie. I wrote in my journal basically the whole drive and patted sister Hicks on the head because she gets car sick and the road was going up and down the tiny canyon road like no one’s business.
Magapit, my new area, is actually just one road out of a whole town and this road has more rocks than people. I keep reminding myself that this is really cool that we get to see the work progress here because there are two (almost three) church buildings in this one town (Lalo) but I have about 20 people who live in my area and they have already met with the missionaries. So we are going to teach English as a second language here so that will be fun as three of the four of us are foreigners (two Americans and one Pakistani, and one Filipina)  as a way to meet new people.
I have two funny stories for this week. Our new apartment is incredible. I swear every time I move it's to a better apartment and this one is huge and easy to clean and has sooooo many windows. The funny parts of my week however have to do with the apartment so just realize that I’m not complaining about the apartment.
I was doing my laundry as after transfers you always have a crazy amount of laundry left over and I’m sitting next to this open drain thinking about how I had just told Sister Banham- my previous companion who is now training- how rats can swim through piping and even come up through the toilet and how she didn’t believe me, when, I kid you not, a giant rat crawls out of the open drain next to my foot. I jump up and run to the door to escape inside the house (laundry room is outside) only to find that my companion Sister Abdul-haq had locked me out of the house!!! So I’m banging on the door freaking out and she finally comes and lets me in and she is laughing so hard at me and I can't remember any Tagalog so I throw my flip flop at her but she just dodges it and keeps laughing at me. So then I go back to finish my laundry BECAUSE I DON’T SCARE EASILY and so I sit down to finish and sister Abdul-haq starts screaming and pointing to the ground behind me and so I jump up again only to see it’s a sock so I chase her around the house with the other flip flop I hadn’t thrown at her yet. I locked her in the bathroom so I could finish my laundry in peace.
Then the other story was just last night. Here in Cagayan we have to return to the apartment before the sun goes down so we do all of our studies at night. So we had finished our studies and were chatting in the other sisters room (all in our pj’s) when we hear rustling outside our window. I panic and tell everyone in a laughing fun voice in old English that there was someone standing outside the window and we needed to leave the room and go to my room because I have curtains. Im speaking like “Forsooth doth yonder window break a perv doth entrench there.” So only the other American understood me because I’m speaking nonsense English so if the guy outside the window hears me he thinks I don’t know he is there but I know he is there. Eventually everyone caught my drift and we all dragged their mattresses into our room and had a slightly scary sleepover where we called out leaders and asked what to do. They basically told us to do what we had already done and to text if anything changed. Oh by the way the power was out and had been out for two hours. So we are sitting in our locked room with all the curtains down and windows closed dying of heat when we hear “Sisters.” Out our window. I'm all primed to taze someone  but I peek out the window and it's just our District leader who came all the way over to check on us because his phone didn’t have any calls or texts so he walked around the border of the house (I handed him my taser first) and didn’t find anything. So we all went to bed… kinda. But this morning I went outside to check if I could see footprints- because I took a forensics class so that must mean I’m a genius- but I found a huge depression in the grass (our house is next to an open field) and cow droppings. So we were all so scared because of a freaking cow. It was so dumb but looking back on it I was speaking Shakespeare so a cow wouldn’t understand my English. That is ridiculous.
Anyways this has been the weekly funny story with Missionary Mormon Mikella
Till next time!

Sister Eldredge

Our Peeping Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment